NAMI Appalachian South was awarded the “Outstanding Affiliate of the Year Award, 2014”
Thank you to everyone for your hard work!
Serving Clay, Cherokee, Graham, Swain, Macon, Jackson Counties and surrounding communities Like Highlands, Franklin, and the cities in surrounding counties.
Weekly Support Group meetings are every Thursday, 7pm.
Family Support Group the First Tuesday of each month, both at 7pm. There is a new meeting location-
NAMI Appalachian South
NAMI Appalachian South is an affiliate of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to improving the lives of individuals and families affected by mental illness. We recognize that the key concepts of recovery, resiliency and support are essential to improving the wellness and quality of life of all persons affected by mental illness. Mental illnesses should not be an obstacle to a full, meaningful life. The purposes of the affiliate are to
(1) provide support to family members and peers,
(2) serve as a center for the collection and dissemination of information about mental illness,
(3) foster public education,
(4) develop coping skills for families and peers,
(5) advocate and
(6) aid community support services.
Two educational programs, coming this winter: Peer-to-Peer and Family-to-Family.
NAMI Peer-to-Peer is a program for individuals living with mental illness who are interested in maintaining their wellness. Participants learn about symptoms, treatment, and coping skills. This program is offered in Franklin, in the evening, weekly. Call (828) 526-9510 to get on the list.
- NAMI Family-to-Family is a highly acclaimed program for individuals that have a family member dealing with mental illness. Get information about mental illness and treatment options, information on how to deal with a crisis situation, and learn strategies related to caregiving. Please call (828) 526-9510 to get on the list.
NAMI’s Peer-to-Peer and Family-to-Family programs are taught by individuals with both training and lived experience. By building strength and tolerance through understanding, shared experience and education, NAMI creates a comfortable, confidential learning atmosphere where participants have the opportunity for open discussion.
NAMI Appalachian South is a non-profit (501c-3) organization and is supported by gifts, memberships and grants from Macon County Community Funding Pool, the Evergreen Foundation, the N.C. Community Foundation and a gift from the Neidig Family Charitable Fund. Donations are Appreciated: P.O. BOX 464, Otto, NC 28763 Write to us/Visit us To Become a Member, or visit http://naminc.org/join/
NAMI NC Helpline: 1-800-451-9682